Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Please sit down. The Doctor will see you soon.

Since Dylan was born, I've made going to Dr.'s appointments an art form. All of Dyl's doctors but one are in Pittsburgh, so usually we have to drive 1.5 hours there, and then 1.5 hours back. What a long day that makes for. It's gotten so much better. We usually have a mess of appointments every 3 months instead of DAILY. Yes, when he was first born we we're going to Pittsburgh several times a week, then it went to once a week, then once every 2 weeks, then once a month, now we are at about every 3 months, and it's looking like beginning in January, we will only have appointments every 6 months!!! (Thank you Lord! Woo!!) So, all that to say- I know my way around a doctors' office...

Take a gander around next time you are in the waiting room. You wouldn't believe all the signs that are posted.
  • If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, we will gladly reschedule you.
  • You must have your updated insurance cards with you at every appointment.
  • Co-pays are due on the same day as your appointment.
  • If you need to cancel your appointment, kindly gives us 24 hours notice.
  • There will be a $25 fee for all returned checks.
And those are just the basics for most offices. There are usually more specifically tailored signs to the particular kind of doctor you are visiting.

Well, let's take a little trip back a few weeks ago to Dylan's last appointment with the eye doctor. I always like to be a little early to appointments-- so we left early, drove 2 hours, got there 30 minutes early, and then proceeded to WAIT for 1.5 hours until we were even seen, then we have a 15 min consult, got his pupils dialated, and then had to wait another 20 minutes, then had another 20 minutes consult, then got back in the car and drove another 2 hours home. Let's tally the time: 6 hours 55 minutes.

Now, I know that it's not the Dr.'s fault that I live 2 hours away... but still, that is a very long day for a 2.5 year old. And I am very proud to say, Dylan was just perfect. He didn't even fuss. I tell you what, you will not find a more pleasant child than him. He is so good and just adapts to whatever. God blessed me, what can I say? But as I sat and waited and waited and waited and waited I looked at the signs and thought- why are these all about the Doctor??? Clearly we are here for a reason so why isn't anyone a little more considerate to what we're going through? Shouldn't it be about the patients? Is it fair that because THEY decide to book patients back to back and get behind that we have to wait for hours on end? No!! SO, I've decided to create some rules of my own and post signs on my back/purse/child as we walk into Doctor's appointments.





So, do you think if I start wearing these signs around that we might get some better service? Maybe. Maybe not. Ha. While I am serious about how irritating it is to wait and feel like you have to absolutely rush your child through very important visits- I do understand that we are not the only ones getting care- and sometimes these things just happen- especially when you have a very popular Dr. All jokes aside (you know I have to add in a serious/positive note), we have been really lucky to have the Doctors we work with on a regular basis. We don't love them all... but most of them we just adore. They've become great friends and practically family- a wonderful support system. We had to say goodbye to two of the best, most important medical team in our lives (their jobs moved them out of state)-Dr. Pim and Katy- You two are so NOT the people I'm referring to in this post, haha. We love and miss you entirely too much. Seriously. You are some of the best in the country- hands down.

But yeah, I think someone needs to keep these Dr.'s offices in check, don't you? I think I will print these out and take them with me... and next time I go in and they ask to see my insurance cards so they can make a copy- I'll just suggest they make a copy of all these signs too. I'll just tell them to look over them and them stick them in my file so they'll know for next time. Yes... Splendid.

The Doctor will see you now...

Lauren

4 comments:

Katy said...

Lauren, I love it! I was cracking up. You are too cute...and is Dylan really two and a half?!? That is insane. I miss you guys SO much and always looked forward to your visits, even though I know it was awful for you to come down to Pittsburgh multiple time a week/month. You are an amazing mom and I am so blessed to have met you and to now have you as a friend!! I really miss genetics, and Dr. Pim too. Thanks for the shout out, and great blog post!!!

Tolentreasures said...

Great post. I think I might copy these and take them to my drs. also. Dylan is a really sweet child. I was so happy to be able to have him in nursery. He is a sweetheart.

Cathy

Mark said...

Ouch! haha just kidding, I try to run on time or close. I see exactly what you are talking about on a regular basis though. Usually the root cause is not enough doctors for the number of patients, but I see plenty of providers who could run on time and don't because they don't care. Those of us in the medical field should know that our job is not about us. I know in PA school there were a lot of folks there so they could make good money without med school or they were trying to feel good about themselves for being in the medical field. I try to remind myself everyday that I went into medicine with my primary objective being to help people. I find when you get your motivation from other people's dependence on you, then you tend to work harder to stay up to date on the latest medical information, staying on time for the patient's convenience, and showing true compassion. When you are filling some need for yourself you tend to rush patients in and out praying for the end of the day and slack off on your education resulting in shotty care at best. And now, I'm rambling so I will leave it at that.

Pim said...

Hi Lauren
I love your post and can totally understand from being both the doctor and patient..
It would have been so easy to say you had to stay in the hospital the first week that we made the diagnosis. I wouldn't have worried as much with you at home, wouldn't have had to juggle my schedule, etc...
But for some reason I felt this connection and could totally understand why driving back and forth(and I told you how often it would be going in) would be worth trying to keep some sense of normal..
Taking care of Dylan (and you) along with Katy was really one of the most satisfying experiences I've had.
Love, Dr. Pim

Post a Comment

© 2011 by Lauren B. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright 2014